Friday, March 11, 2016

Results?? Part One of Many

Hello all!

It is the end of week five and we are officially at the half way point! This week was another busy week but for sure much more calm! I attended five presentations: three student and two adult, all which had a specific interesting aspect to them. However, this week on the blog I won't be talking about my week's presentations. The past few weeks I've been talking about what I've been doing to collect data and what that has looked like. This week we are going to start talking about what all of these observations and surveys are adding up too!

Oh don't get to excited...

I'm not going to be giving up all the results that easy...

Good try though...

No today we are going to talk about one question on the survey which asks: "I feel like I can relate to this topic: Yes, No Opinion, No"

First I have to give some background on how I analyze the surveys. Since the surveys are simply on a sheet of paper (not a scantron or any computer system because... well... we are a non profit (though we are looking into changing this for the future, an exciting development!)), I have to analyze the surveys by hand. Yes, you guessed it, this means counting by hand how many people said yes to each question and how many people said no opinion or no. I then take a percentage of the total of surveys completed for the presentation (Key word completed) and report that in the results.

For this first question, "I feel like I can relate to this topic", so far the results have been pretty consistent with how successful the presentation seemed to be just from the primary data (check back to the introduction blog posts for an explanation on the primary data). However, after analyzing this question for the set of high school presentations-- at the very wealthy/well off high school and  other wise successful presentation I spoke about last week-- the results were for this question were inconsistent with the rest of the results. In fact, on average between the 7 presentations, the average percent of students who answered yes was .20009 which is extremely low considering how successful the presentations were.

The question is why???

There a couple reasons that could explain this
1) The presentation was about substance abuse. Answering yes to the question may seem to high schoolers as if they are admitting to using substances.
2) The substance abuse presentations involve very hard and intense substances. High schoolers may think, "well I never considering using a hard drug like that so no, I don't relate."

It's certainly interesting. Keep reading for even more results!

On another note I enjoyed helping prepare for the Gala coming up in April with some crafting!
I'm quite the master glitter-er if I may say so myself!!
Until next time!!

Shir



1 comment:

  1. Looks like another great week, Shir! Next time I need something flitted up or bedazzled, I'll be sure to consult with you! :)

    When you ask students if they can relate to the topic, do you provide specific examples of what this might mean or are you broadly referring to substance abuse in general? Also, does your survey provide any opportunities for free-response or additional feedback?

    Kudos to you on manually recording the results! What was your process for doing so?

    ReplyDelete